Broken relationships between spouses and partners can be devastating. The emotional fallout is even more complicated when children are involved. Sorting out the issues associated with custody and child support can create a great deal of disagreement. Sadly, the conflicts often negatively impact the children at the heart of the disputes.

meek law lawyer attorney business legal in charlotte nc rock hill nc pineville nc

Fortunately, significant efforts have been made to address the issues in the laws of North Carolina. This post will focus on three common scenarios an ex-couple may experience and how they have been addressed.

First, let’s clarify that an unmarried couple with children is treated differently than a married couple in the event that they separate. Child custody for an unmarried couple is explained in the following post:

NC Child Custody Laws for Unmarried Parents

Settling on child custody is a stressful and difficult situation when a breakup occurs. This is especially true when child custody matters involve unmarried parents. Many of the legal challenges unmarried parents face in a custody battle are the same as married parents. Fortunately, NC child custody laws are in place to determine child custody in these situations. A major consideration in child custody cases is based on whether you are the child’s mother or father. Read more at Emblem Legal…

If you’re not a legally acknowledged parent of your child, it’s vital that you hire a good family law attorney to help you achieve this status. It could be your only means of maintaining access to your child.

meek law lawyer attorney business legal in charlotte nc rock hill nc pineville nc

If you’re a man going through a divorce and you aren’t sure of your rights as a father, the following post will help clarify your legal standing:

Although North Carolina law recognizes that mothers and fathers have equal rights and responsibilities when it comes to their children, some fathers may feel that their rights are in jeopardy during a child custody or child support proceeding. Many fathers who go through a custody or child support hearing feel that the court and the legal system are stacked against them. As a father, you want what is best for your child. Unfortunately, fathers and mothers do not always agree on what is best for their child and the court sometimes has to step in and make decisions in the best interests of the child. Read more at Collins Family Law Group…

If you’re a good father, you need to secure your rights to be a permanent presence in your child’s rearing. Both of your lives will be diminished if you don’t have a healthy familial relationship.

meek law lawyer attorney business legal in charlotte nc rock hill nc pineville nc

Now, let’s examine a situation where there are mental health issues connected to a child custody case. The following post expounds on the matter:

Mental Health Issues and Child Custody in North Carolina

When a child or parent has a mental health issue, it’s important to seek help. But what if your child needs help but you and the other parent don’t see eye to eye on the solution? What if the other parent needs help but refuses to seek treatment? Are there any legal remedies?

Proving a Mental Health Issue Exists:

The first step for seeking a legal remedy is to prove there is a mental health issue. This applies whether it’s the child or parent with the issue. If there is already a diagnosis, it’s relatively easy to prove. The simplest way to do that is to subpoena the treating physician to testify in court. If there is not a diagnosis yet, your case will be more complex. You should speak to a family law attorney regarding a legal strategy tailored to your specific needs. That being said, you’ll be able to testify about behaviors you have seen. Read more at Batch, Poore & Williams…

If you’re dealing with a divorce involving child custody, you need family law attorney Jonathan Meek on your side. He has the expertise to protect the rights of you and your offspring. Contact Meek Law Firm today to discuss the particulars of your case. Call (704) 848-6335 or you use the contact form on our website and we’ll get right back to you.