Grandparents often play an important role in the lives of their grandchildren.

North Carolina law recognizes this, and permits them to seek visitation with their grandchildren, even when one or both of the parents object. However, certain criteria must be met before the court will allow them to intervene.

When there is an ongoing custody case, grandparents may seek to intervene in the case to be granted visitation rights. (This usually takes the form of the grandparents, through their attorney, filing a motion with the court.) Sometimes, this is done as a result of the fact the grandparent does not feel they are seeing enough of the grandchild; however, sometimes, grandparents do it even if they are satisfied with the amount they see their grandchildren, in order to preserve their rights in case the parents later die or there is a falling-out that limits their access to the grandchildren. This is necessary because a grandparent does not have standing to sue in North Carolina upon the death of their child. READ MORE


Contact Us